Pav / Pao / Ladi Pav, a handmade bun is famous not only in Mumbai but in every city of India. This soft bun can be consumed best with a spicy Bhaji or the vegetable curry. The other alternative is to serve it as a Vada Pav i.e. a sandwich lined with chutney and a potato vada. But today instead of making whole wheat or an all-purpose bun, we will make Spinach Flour Pav, with the Country Kitchen Spinach Flour.
So, here is the Spinach Flour Pav Bread Recipe.
- 2 cups Country Kitchen Spinach Flour
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (approx. 200 -250 ml) Luke warm milk
- 1 -2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp instant dry yeast
- 2 tbsp dry milk powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
Preparation Method for Spinach Flour Pav
Activate the Yeast
- Mix lukewarm milk, 1 tbsp sugar and yeast in a deep bowl and leave it aside for 10 minutes, to activate the yeast.
- After 10 minutes, the mix becomes like a thick creamy paste, which is proof to the activated yeast.
Making Spinach Flour Pav Dough
- Add 2 cup spinach flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, dry milk powder and salt according to taste in a bowl and mix it well
- Then add the yeast mixture to the mix to bind the dough. The tip is to mix it slowly to avoid lumps. If the milk yeast mix to make the dough is less, use additional water or milk to bind the dough.
- The dough will be highly sticky at this point in time. Don’t worry, use the bench scraper to scrape the dough and keep kneading it for another 10 minutes.
- Once kneaded, insert the fingertip into the dough and it should bounce back clean. It means the dough is ready for the next step.
- Add oil or butter to the dough
- Further, knead it for 5-10 minutes. At this stage, don’t comprise on kneading, as the gluten needs to be formed here which will give a fluffy texture to the Spinach Flour Pav.
- Keep kneading the dough by stretch and fold method, till the dough turns soft and elastic.
- Now, grease a large bowl with oil and tuck the dough in the bowl.
- Cover the dough bowl with a damp muslin cloth and keep it aside for 1 hour. (Note: The time for Spinach Flour Pav to rise will vary upon the climatic conditions. In winters time taken by dough to rise will be more than 1 hour.)
- The dough will rise and double in size.
- Punch the dough to remove the air bubbles from the dough. Note, if the dough doesn’t bounce back, it means it has perfectly risen.
- Now, sprinkle little flour on a workstation and transfer the kneaded dough here.
- Knead again for about 5 minutes using little flour by stretching it and folding it back, till the dough becomes smooth.
- The Spinach Flour Dough is ready.
Forming Spinach Pav Dough Balls
- For Baking, divide the spinach flour dough into equal 10-12 parts using the scrapper.
- Roll each part into a round ball by tucking the edges underneath towards the centre.
- Grease an aluminium tray with oil.
- Place the dough balls on a greased aluminium tray at regular intervals.
- Cover it again with a damp muslin cloth and leave it aside for 20-30 minutes.
- After 20 minutes Spinach Pav dough balls will double in size.
- Now brush the dough balls with milk and sugar mix, also known as milk wash the dough.
Baking Spinach Flour Pav Dough Balls
- Now bake the spinach flour buns in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for almost 30 minutes. If the buns don’t look brown, bake it for some more time.
- After baking, loosen the edges with a knife and let it cool.
- Once cooled, de-mould it and brush the flour pav with butter
- The Spinach Flour Pav is ready and can be served immediately or as required. The Pav stays fresh for 2-3 days when stored well in an airtight container.