Homemade spinach tortillas made with readily available ingredients. Use it to make wraps, burritos, and much more!
It’s this month that we moved into our new house (and our first!) last year. It has been quite a ride so far, from furniture shopping to painting walls to failed attempts at gardening. I would say that setting up the house was probably the most challenging and time consuming thing and we are not done yet! We lived in a 1 room apartment, were newly married so practically we had no furniture. So we literally had to buy everything, right from coffee table to sofa to dining table to beds! Just last week we ordered our dining table and a bed for the 2nd bedroom. I think with this we will take a break with furniture shopping for a while. At least we now have almost all the basic stuff, phew!
Making tortilla at home is really simple if you keep practicing it. I mean it was very easy for me because even though I don’t make tortilla every day I do make my roti and paratha almost every day and they are basically the same. So if you are used to rolling the dough, this is super easy. Just try to roll the dough as thin as possible, makes it so much easier to roll the tortilla when you use it for burrito or wraps.
To spice things but a bit, I added very little cumin and cayenne to my dough, this is completely optional.
Ingredients for Spinach Tortillas
- 1.5 cups Country Kitchen spinach flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder, optional
- pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, and more to brush the tortilla
- water, as needed for the dough
- Add water in spinach flour and a pinch of salt, mix it well to make a dough.
- Add oil to the flour mix and rub it into the flour using your fingers.
- Add the pureed spinach to the flour and mix.
- Add water little by little to knead to a soft and smooth dough. If the dough feels too sticky, apply some oil on your hands, you may also add more oil to the dough. If the dough feels too dry, add more water. Basically, by the end of it, you should have a smooth and soft dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, divide it into 6 equal parts. Meanwhile, put a pan on medium-high heat.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each ball into a circle of 8-10 inches. Try to roll as thin as possible. Use dry flour while rolling it if the dough is sticking to your rolling pin.
- Transfer the rolled spinach tortilla onto the heated pan. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or till you sees these brown spots.
- Remove from pan and brush the Spinach tortilla with oil. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.